Thursday, April 17, 2008

Did the PM address the issue correctly?

I was at the Malaysian Bar dinner last night when the Prime Minister announced ex-gratia payment to the 6 wronged judges who were removed/suspended during the 1988 judicial crisis. The immediate reaction that comes to my mind is, "Why pay money?" Why not apologise? Why not acknowledge them to be the rightful bastion of justice? Even if the PM were not to apologise, why not distance the present administration from the past administration for the wrongs it clearly did?
Money is one way of settling issues, but it is neither the only way, nor even the most effective way. Paying money in lieu of an apology, is equivalent to the ultra-male breadwinner who provides for his family in lieu of respect, love and affection. Obligatorily sufficient, but emotionally lacking. Instead of throwing money at the problem, a simple "I'm sorry for what happened to you" followed by effective measures to put in place systems to prevent a future recurrence may have been more satisfying.
At the end of the day, I regret to note that the meal was more substantial than the speech.
_________________________________
2008 marks my 10th year in practice. Thank you for your support.
For questions and comments, drop me an email at khenghoe@mycounsel.com.my.

No comments: