Monday, April 7, 2008

Want a more positive outlook? Try this...

Lawyers are negative people. We are negative by training. In a deal, the businessman looks at the potential gain. The lawyers look at the potential pitfalls. We think that it's fine if you go ahead and make money, but if the deal turns sour, I want to make sure I have done a damn fine job in protecting your behind.
The negativity of lawyers are necessary to a certain extent, but there must be a limit to it. Otherwise, no deals will be made or finalised. How can lawyers reduce their negativity (for the sake of their clients, and for their own quality of life?)
Here's what I'm trying. I limit my exposure to the mass media. Newspapers, by their very nature, report bad news. Good news are not newsworthy. Because of that, newspapers tend to perpetuate our negativity.
I've found that with the growth of online resources, I can find out all the main news by browsing a couple of news sites, without actually reading every article. When reading, I choose only 1 article to read from 1 news site, and I visit no more than 3 news sites for my dosage of news (2 local, 1 international).
In this way, I've found I save at least an hour a day, and much stress.
Try it...who knows it will work for you too.
_________________________
If you have questions or comments, email me at khenghoe@mycounsel.com.my.

No comments: